Care & Social Services Law: Expert Legal Guidance | HAB Law | Layers in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and North London

Care and Social Services

Should the Local Authority become involved with your family, our specialist care department can help and support you through the legal process at either Public Law Outline (PLO) or Court proceedings stage. Local Authorities are now obliged to carry out all necessary assessments before issuing care proceedings unless they are of the view that they have no option but to issue immediately. If you are a biological parent or someone who has parental responsibility for a child (by way of court order or PR agreement) you are automatically entitled to legal aid for care proceedings.

Why choose HAB Law?

It is common for Social Services to become involved if there are concerns about a child being abused or neglected. Once Social Services become involved with your children, there is a process which it must generally undergo prior to the commencement of any Court proceedings. This is called the Public Law Outline and will involve your having to attend meetings with a Social Worker and possibly other professionals. If the Local Authority is of the opinion that no further work can be done to reduce the risk to the child, it will usually serve a notice upon a parent to the effect that it intends to issue care proceedings.

We can help right from the commencement of any investigations by the Local Authority in ensuring that you have proper representation at any meetings and are provided with the right legal advice. We will advise you when it is appropriate to cooperate with the Local Authority and what you will need to do to ensure that any concerns of the Local Authority are suitably addressed.

Contact us now to get the help you need